The ravings of a rabid Sens fan on the Senators and all things hockey related.

Upcoming Games

  • Thu. October 18th - 7:30pm - Montreal Canadiens - A-Ch
  • Sat. October 20th - 7:00pm - Florida Panthers - CBC
  • Sat. October 27th - 7:00pm - at New Jersey Devils - No TV
  • Thu. November 1st - 7:30pm - Atlanta Thrashers - A-Ch
  • Sat. November 3rd - 7:00pm - Boston Bruins - CBC

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Are the Leafs a threat?



Well, after two years of missing the playoffs I think we can finally expect to see the Toronto Maple Leafs in at the big show. They have added to what was already one of the league's best offensive cores with the addition of Jason Blake. Even if he does not live up to his 40 goal campaign last year he will help them out with 30 or more, and the further development of youngsters like Wellwood and Steen could spell danger for defencemen in the Northeast.

On top of this, the Leafs have received an upgrade in goal. How big of an upgrade is debatable, but Toskala should at the very least push Raycroft. I wouldn't be surprised to see split duties in Toronto. Despite all the flack he received Raycroft did still manage 37 wins last year, an impressive feat no matter how you spin it.

Despite my obvious bias against the Leafs, I have to say I am happy about this for a few reasons. The first being that it will probably bring the battle of Ontario back to life after a few years spent in a comatose state. The Leafs will have some bite this year, and having closer games will only make it that much better when we win.

The Leafs in the playoffs will also allow Ottawa to do something I think they badly need to do - BEAT THE LEAFS. I really dont know if the players or fans need this monkey off their back more (probably the fans), but I would bet money that the players would love the opportunity to play the Leafs in the playoffs for some redemption.

I know this seems like I am digging up some past demons that Sens fans always tell Leaf fans to let go, but I do think it is something we would all like out of the way, and I think it is worthwhile to examine our primary competition this year: the Northeast.

Because of that, I will be taking a very quick and very opinionated look at each of our Northeast opponents over the next little while. Hey, there isn't much else to talk about is there?

Oh I almost forgot....Ottawa's record against the Leafs this year: 5-2-1

No comments: