The ravings of a rabid Sens fan on the Senators and all things hockey related.

Upcoming Games

  • Thu. October 18th - 7:30pm - Montreal Canadiens - A-Ch
  • Sat. October 20th - 7:00pm - Florida Panthers - CBC
  • Sat. October 27th - 7:00pm - at New Jersey Devils - No TV
  • Thu. November 1st - 7:30pm - Atlanta Thrashers - A-Ch
  • Sat. November 3rd - 7:00pm - Boston Bruins - CBC

Monday, September 17, 2007

Sens Ink Fisher for 5 years, $4.2m


Wow...

This has really crushed me. To me, Fisher was the 3rd priority to sign - behind Spezza and Heatley. The guy is great at what he does, don't get me wrong...but he is a 3rd line centre. He is injury prone. He is not a big offensive threat. Just..wow.

4.2 million seems VERY steep to me. I would walk away after 3.5, and even that I wouldn't be thrilled with. Now the Sens are in a hard spot to resign Heatley and Spezza, not to mention Redden (though that is good news...). It will take some miraculous maneuvering by Murray to keep both Spezza and Heatley and leave himself some room to have a decent supporting cast in the future, but if both Redden and Gerber are gone it is possible.

I can just see this signing hurting Ottawa in the long run. It is a LOT of money to invest in a 3rd line player, especially if the salary cap goes down at any point in the next 5 years. I would much rather have Comrie at 3.3m.

Label me dissapointed.

1 comment:

Senators Lost Cojones said...

Sorry TJ, but this is fantastic!

Our boy Fish will be the next to wear the C. Take that to the bank. The only downside, if you can call it that, to this is the now certainty that Redden won't be back next year. Hopefully, he'll waive his no trade clause so we can get something for him.